$1 Flea Market Frame - From Drab to FAB

I absolutely love shopping at the flea market, thrift stores and yard sales.  I love finding things for just a few dollars and then turning them into something spectacular!  I recently found this frame for only $1 and I completely transformed it from drab to FAB!!!  


Below is the frame as I put it into my garage paint booth.  I painted it with Rustoleum Aqua Satin spray paint.


This paint is awesome because it adheres to plastic, metal or wood.  This frame is a 1970's molded plastic so the paint worked perfectly without any need for primer.  Also in the picture below you can see another larger frame that I am working on too.  It is a wood and gesso frame which this paint works on too :)


The aqua color is quite bright, in fact it's almost a turquoise color.  I was looking for something a little softer so I pulled out some translucent color glaze that is made by Valspar (color Mocha) and a couple of other colors of aqua paint to blend if needed.


I used a sponge brush to apply a little of the glaze directly over the paint onto the frame.  It definitely softened the look and I started falling in love with the color blend!!!  The glaze knocked the color intensity down a few notches.  I didn't need to use any of the other aqua paints since the glaze did exactly what I wanted it to.


I allowed the glaze to sit for about 5 minutes and then I wiped it with a damp paper towel to remove any excess glaze.  


I found this cute saying which is on a thin piece of board and has a magnet on the back.  It was intended to be a refrigerator magnet,  but I really wanted to frame it!  This saying was in our kitchen my entire childhood, so when I found this magnet a few years ago I had to have it.  I just  never knew what I was going to do with it.  My vintage frame came with glass and a backer-board which I put back into the frame after I was done painting it.  I put a piece of dark brown craft paper behind the glass to serve as a border to the saying since the board is smaller than the frame opening.  I used two sided craft tape to attach the magnet board onto the outside of the glass (it is too thick to fit under the glass)...


There you have it.  I love how it turned out!  It now sits proudly in our kitchen and reminds us how very blessed we are!


Until next time,
Happy Decorating!


Linking up:
My Romantic Home

Days of Chalk and Chocolate
Photobucket
Craft Junkie Too Friend
the Grant Life

Funky Junk Interiors

17 comments:

  1. This is adorable! The color is so pretty but I love the glaze! it brings out all those pretty swirls and curly ques! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the frame. You did it up just right :) The glaze was a perfect choice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon... Since aqua is your favorite color too, I knew you would like (love) it!!! hehe...

      Delete
  3. Love that color. I have never spray painted, I always do it the old, slow way. I am determined to try it after seeing this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Syndi! Spray paint is definitely much much faster!!! However you have to spray outdoors or in a well ventilated area. Spray paint has fumes and leaves overspray on everything around it. So be sure to put something under it like a tarp or cardboard... and also it doesn't hurt to wear a mask (available at your local hardware store). I painted this frame in under two minutes :)

      Delete
  4. So pretty! And I like the sentiment too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job. I love the frame and candlesticks. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Debi! I linked up :)

      Delete
  6. love it most especially the quote great job

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so SUPER CUTE that I’d like to invite you to come link it up at our linky party: http://www.FineCraftGuild.com/party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment and the invite :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. This really did come out cute.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  9. The glaze really makes this gorgeous! I love how you brought it to life!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... I love using glaze or dark wax on items... I really shows them off!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for linking your gorggeous blue frame up at our TIME FOR A PARTY at http://www.finecraftguild.com we love your weekly contribution. Do please link back to the party from your article when you have a moment. that's the party rule and it's so appreciated when you do. thank you in advance and hope to see you again later again with something new!

    ReplyDelete

I love all of your comments and I read every one... I'd love to hear from you!

Blessings,
Diana