Antique Post Card DIY Christmas Trees




My mother used to collect vintage and antique postcards.  She gave me a box full of them about five years ago.  Most of the dates on them are from the early 1900's.  I always figured I would use them on some craft project eventually, I just didn't know what or when.  This week I decided to finally craft with them.  I came up with the idea for these adorable antique postcard Christmas trees.  After a little trial and error, I figured out how to make them and they were actually quite simple to do!  The best part is that they didn't cost me a cent...  I used items I already had around the house :)

I started by creating cones with some scrap-booking paper and packaging tape. I used two pieces of 12" x 12" paper and put them into a cone shape and then taped the edges.  I wanted the cones to be taller than a single piece of paper would make, so I shaped the first piece and taped it, and then put the second piece inside and shaped it to the first giving it extra height.  Then I added a cut piece to the open area that remained.  I cut the bottom level and then I made a second cone that was slightly shorter.

  
My cones aren't very pretty, in fact not at all, but they are just for the base so it didn't much matter what they looked like.  I ended up taping the entire exterior of each cone to give them extra strength.


I cut each of the old postcards into strips and then curled them around a pen to give them a curved look.  As I cut the cards I tried to keep stamps and postal markings in tact so they could be read when looking at the trees.


After they were curled I started from the bottom up, one row at a time...  I used packaging tape to tape each piece to the cone. 

Below is the first tree as I finished it.  Notice how you can see the stamps and postal marks.  There are dates from as early as 1905 to about 1915 on this tree.  All of the stamps were one cent back then.  


The second tree I decided to give a different look.  I folded each of the cut strips in half and stapled them.  This gave them some thickness.  Again I made sure to show the stamps and postal markings.  Row by row I attached them with the packaging tape.  I used packaging tape because it is much stronger and stickier than Scotch tape!  This second tree was the easiest to make.  It didn't need near as many rows to I made it in about 15 minutes.


In the next picture you can read some of the writing on the cards, and see the stamps up close and postal dates.  


The stars on top I cut out of postcards too.  I cut two sides for each and I glued them to the top of each tree.


I love how they both turned out.  I am not sure where I am going to display them in the house yet.  I'm thinking maybe the coffee table is best.  There is so much history on the 100 year old post cards that they make for a great conversation piece!


Until next time,
Happy Decorating!

Diana

10 comments:

  1. Amazing, I love these, I hope you don't mind if I re-post this on my blog, with links back to this page of course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, You may post it as long as I get credit and links back :) I'm glad you like them! Diana

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful idea! Great inspiration! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's an amazing idea! Now I can make use of my christmas cards that I've recieved ages ago. Last year, I use them as my Christmas tree decorations. Now, I have a fresh new idea for decorating our tree. Thanks for sharing this creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure about using postcards that are from over one hundred years ago. Sometimes they are invaluable to family tree ( no pun intended) researchers. But newer postcards: Wow, this is a fantastic idea!!! Thanks so much for posting. A project for the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand where you are coming from, but the post cards are from unknown families, not my own. My mom used to collect them from random sources (buying them in lots from ebay, vintage stores, yard sales, etc...) A box of them has sat on a shelf for many years untouched. I finally decided to get crafty and use some of them.

      Blessings,
      Diana

      Delete
  5. Really you have gorgeous ideas and have great blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very mush for sharing this nice post with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. I think that I would copy the originals to card stock and cut the copies only! Save the old treasures for other projects .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these a few years ago using paper gift tags that come in the mail with address labels. When finished, they were covered with glitter spray. Our church still uses them as centerpieces for the annual Christmas dinner.

    ReplyDelete

I love all of your comments and I read every one... I'd love to hear from you!

Blessings,
Diana