Halloween - To Celebrate or Not To Celebrate

I don't normally share my faith on my blog.  Don't get me wrong it is a huge part of who I am, but my blog is about decorating... so normally I don't share it other than in my about me section

However, today I wanted to share what we decided to do this year for Halloween.  

We are Christians and for years I have heard so many stories and philosophies on why we should or should not celebrate or participate in Halloween.  I've heard stories of all kinds of evil, witchcraft, calling back of the dead and debauchery that goes on during Halloween... (All Hallows Eve).  I don't like scary costumes, people jumping out at me or haunted anything!  I definitely don't like evil or ever want to participate in anything evil.  But I've also read via Wikipedia and several other places that All Hallows Eve has religious roots or pagan roots.  Then I've heard how its the eve of All Saints Day, followed by All Souls Day, which are both supposedly Catholic or Christian based.  Honestly, I don't know much about any of them other than I've heard many conflicting stories over the years.    

I do know that I enjoy adorable children, meeting new people and making new friends!  For several years we have gone to or volunteered to work at our churches Halloween alternative "Harvest Festival". We have been very blessed to do so.  However, I've always felt that maybe we should be at home sharing what we believe with others regardless of what day it is.  After all I am a Christian every single day!!!

I went to Party City and had stickers made, I know I could have done this on my computer myself, but my printer doesn't like me lately!  So, Party City made it easy.  I picked out my background and told them what I wanted it to say.  The employee and I looked over it, adjusted the font to something I liked and 20 minutes later we were finished. I went to Target and purchased a variety of full size candy bars and one alternative for those who can't have chocolate... Full size because I do want to be a house they will remember.  I still remember the few cool houses that gave out the full size chocolate bars when I was a kid!  And let me tell you, that was more than a few years ago :)


What we believe is simple!  John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life."  That is it, it's that simple.

This year we decided to stay home and pass out candy for the first time in 7 or 8 years and I am totally looking forward to it!  

Blessings,

Diana


2 comments:

  1. My husband doesn't believe in celebrating Halloween for the reasons you mention but I have so many fun memories as a kid, I wanted my child to have that too. We love this idea! We're Catholic Christians so my daughter was taught church history and that puts things in perspective. On All Saints Day, we remember those who took up their cross to follow Christ. On All Souls Day, we remember those who have departed this life, especially those in the past year that they are resting peacefully with the Lord. In medieval times, the church purposely scheduled these at the time of the pagan holiday. They wanted to encourage moving the focus from the pagan harvest ritual to a focus on Christianity, so it took on the form of the roaming of restless souls before the rising up of the martyrs, symbolic of the darkness that proceeded Christ - how perfect is John 3:16 for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. We will do this next year. Thank you for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete

I love all of your comments and I read every one... I'd love to hear from you!

Blessings,
Diana