DIY Birthday Cake - Tools in the Toolbox

Today is my husbands birthday.  He is 29... okay, not really, but we've been celebrating his 29th birthday every year for the 10 years that we've been married. He is the best husband ever, so I just keep making him cakes that have 29 on the top.  It makes him happy, so it makes me happy!


I made him this cake a couple of years ago and wanted to share it with all of you.  It looks a little homemade, but all the love that went into it and the hours it took me to make all the tools made it super special. 

I molded the tools all in Chocolate Candy Molds with Wilton Candy Melts.  Then I painted them with edible metallic Silver Luster Dust.  You mix the luster dust with lemon extract and is makes a sort of paint. The Lemon Extract was recommended to me by a bakery.  Since the lemon extract is nearly clear it keeps the metallic color pure. Although vanilla extract would work, it has a brown color to it, so it would discolor the finish.  It took a few coats of the edible paint finish over the candy melts to make the tools look real, but they came out so amazing that it was totally worth the time it took!  

If you've never used candy melts.  They are very easy to use.  To see exactly how I use them you can read about it here in a prior post I did on Sweet Treats using Candy Melts.


Happy 29th Birthday to my hubby Jim.  I love you sweetheart!

Always,
Diana


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all of your comments and I read every one... I'd love to hear from you!

Blessings,
Diana