$10 DIY Organizer & Bulletin Board

I made this multi purpose organizer board for just $10.  The solid wood shutter I found at a thrift store for only five dollars.  It was still raw wood.  When I first found it I wasn't sure what I would do with it, but for five bucks, I just had to get it!  A little paint (that I already had) and $5 worth of hooks (from Target Stores) and now it works as a garage entry board to hang our keys, hats, purses, backpacks, and whatever else we want to pop on a hook.  That door at the end of the hall is to our garage.  This is where we enter and exit the house, since our cars are parked inside... so the board is in a perfect location!

Since I found this shutter piece in raw wood, I started by painting it a creamy off white (heirloom white).


Next I used a dry brush technique to add a multitude of blue and aqua craft paints.


I lightly sanded the edges of the shutter and then used a touch of dark wax on the edges and in the crevices to give it some vintage aged character.


I love the finished look of the distressed paint!!!  This next picture shows you a close up of the finish.


I added four hooks across the bottom.  I measured and marked where they needed to go before attaching them.


My husband hung my masterpiece onto the wall for me (he's such a sweetie).  He secured it into a stud... and then I used Command Picture Hanging Strips on the back at the bottom to keep it from shifting on the wall.  Since they are velcro they worked great!

The shutter slots are awesome because they have many uses.  They easily hold outgoing mail, menus or flyers to my favorite stores.


I added a few clothes pins and now the board doubles as a bulletin board too.  It's a great place to put fun pictures and notes.  


I am loving my new piece and I love even more that I made it for only $10.

Until next time,
Happy decorating,

Diana



5 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea.....love it! Found you through Sweet Pickins

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great Diana - how clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can't tell you how much I adore this! It turned out absolutely beautifully! The clothes pins that you added was brilliant by the way! Too cute! I do have a question though.. was the shutter originally this shape or did you have to add the wood edging to it? This is definitely a project that I am going to try. Thanks so much for sharing this. The colors you chose with the distressing makes it look amazing! I pinned this on one of my boards on Pinterest! Terri of Two Pink Peas www.twopinkpeas.com www.Pinterest.com/twopinkpeas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice words! As for the shutter shape, I actually found it like that. I paid only $5 for it at a thrift store :)

      Diana

      Delete
    2. Love it!!! I'm in the process of repurposing my first piece (actually two pieces). A bookcase and a dresser ( I always overdo it). I'm a bit nervous because I sort of (?) know how I want it to look but until now was not sure. This is it and I can' t wait to see my finished products. Thank you.

      Delete

I love all of your comments and I read every one... I'd love to hear from you!

Blessings,
Diana